Monday, November 25, 2019

End Game

The game. They say either a person has what it takes to play, or they don't. Still some try, knowing that they'll never be front runners in the game of life, but they do try. My mother thought she was one of those greats. She wasn't much of a team player, but she played. She taught me how to read people, how to duck and cover. She taught me how to be overly critical, not only of others but of myself as well. She taught me many things. How to be a great team player, wasn't one of them. So I....I was kinda screwed from the start.

Each of us starts out here on this 3rd rock from the sun; clueless but hopeful. Wanting in on the game. A the years pass we look back, remembering when we were the students in school being taught by teachers. Today, we are the teachers; be it through parenthood, career choices, or just being a leader of people in general. The fourteen years plus we spend in our chosen schooling paths, well they were  the best and worst of our lives. Still even at the end of "class" out here on the field of life we will be pushed to the breaking point. Look around you. Say hello to your competition, if competitors they be. Some of those around you will look for the easy way out. Others will crack under the pressure and head for the hills. Others still will be asked to leave the field of play. This is your starting line. This is your arena.

How well you play? That's up to you.

Like I said. I was kinda screwed. There comes a moment when it's more than just a game. And you either take that step forward, or turn around and walk away. I could quit. But here's the thing: I love the playing field. I found my team. My cheerleaders. My people. So. I made it through 25 years of teaching, although looking back now I believe they taught me more than I did them. I have found my people. We all have it would seem. My team, they're all good people, you'd like them. I think. I don't know. Maybe. I like them. I love them.

Oh, and while I once swore off love; I've changed my mind. I'm not going to run away or hide. I've built a life. It's not a fairytale. But it is home, you know?

I'm home.

No comments:

Post a Comment