Thursday, March 1, 2018

Sometimes it's memory loss

Sometimes it's just disinterest?  I've shared a fair amount already about my memory loss and the calamity that can occur thanks to it.  But sometime's, okay quite often it's just a sheer desire of not wanting to engage with others while I already have so many rumblings running through my mind. Of course there is always the question dancing through the back of my mind, "do I know this person?  Have I actual history with them, or are they just rambling on because I am so damn approachable?"

Yesterday I stopped into Starbucks for a long awaited treat.  My signature stimulant, designed by me for me way back in the days of green aprons and plastered on smiles topped with whipped cream.  While I waited for my cup of bliss to be completed, the woman behind me broke into a long winded rather detailed story about her latest experience in Longo's.  What that experience was, I am not entirely sure.  It had a few heights and a very significant low if her body language and tone were any indication, though I cannot be certain as I really wasn't that focused.  It all went something like that:

- 10 to 20 seconds in: Alright this isn't too bad.  She's got a hair that keep flopping every time she nods, oh I should nod too! 
-  15 seconds in: Hrmm she shoelaces aren't even.  Did she tie them herself?
- 18 second in: Oh that's my coffee!  Come to momma Venti dark and delicious.  Crap, she's still talking.  Inch away and nod again...why is se touching my arm?  She's impeding my caffeinated pleasures. 
- 30 seconds in: Crap nod again, smile and look convincing...oops less teeth.
- 35 seconds in: Attention waning rapidly.  Did she just say she just say she rode a donkey? WTF? How did this go from Longos to a donkey?  Does she mean Eeyore? 
- 40 seconds in:  Eeyore, hrm; Winnie the Pooh?  Oh I need to buy honey after. 
- 50 seconds in: How long have I been tapping my hand against my leg?  Where is she in her story? Huh...wtf she laughing?  Should I laugh too? Haha ok that wasn't stupid sounding at all!
- 60 seconds in: Alright I've played along, but I'm gonna loose it in a moment if she doesn't just shut up. 
- 65 seconds in: Okay lady this rides been fun but I want off now.  I have no clue what shes said and I cannot pretend any longer and if my caffeinated cup of bliss is cold now I'll have to rip off her eyebrows...

Being the non awkward people person I am, I reached past her, wrapped my clawed hand around my drink and said "See ya" without a backwards glance. 

Totally nailed it!     

No comments:

Post a Comment