Sunday, March 6, 2016

I choose me

Most of my life has been spent trying to silence myself. Trying to become softer. Quieter. Less out there. Less opinionated. Less demanding. Less me. Because I didn’t want to intimidate other. I didn't want to make them uncomfortable. I didn't want to challenge them to change who they were. So I changed to accommodate their needs. I didn’t want to be too much or push people away. I wanted people to like me. I wanted to be cared for and valued. I wanted to be wanted. So for years, I sacrificed myself for the sake of making other people happy. For years, I put others first.

But I’m tired of diminishing my inner light, and I’m done shying away. It’s not my job to change who I am in order to makes others comfortable. I am a worthwhile human being. Other people's views of who I am, do not hold value over who I know I am. I matter. My thoughts matter. My feelings matter. My voice matters. With or without anyone’s permission or approval, I will continue to be who I am and embrace my truth. Even if it makes people uncomfortable. Even if it makes them angry. Even if they choose to leave. I refuse not to shine. I choose to own my space. I choose to honour my soul. I choose to give myself permission to have my needs met. I choose to makeself  a priority.

I choose me.

No comments:

Post a Comment