Monday, April 2, 2007

But You Promised

Many years ago Indian braves would go away in solitude to prepare for manhood. One hiked
into a beautiful valley, green with trees and bright with flowers. There as he looked up at
the surrounding mountains, he noticed a rugged peak capped with dazzling snow.
"I will test myself against that mountain," he thought. He put on his buffalo hide shirt, threw his blanket over his shoulders, and set off to climb the pinnacle. When he reached the top, he stood on the rim of the world. He could see forever, and his heart swelled with pride.
Then he heard a rustle at his feet. Looking down, he saw a snake. Before he could move, the snake
spoke. "I am about to die," said the snake. "It is too cold up here and there is no food. Put me under your coat and take me down to the valley."

"No," said the youth.

"I know your kind. You are a rattle snake. If I pick you up, you will bite me, and your bite will kill me." "Not so," said the snake. "I will treat you differently. If you do this for me, I will not harm you." The youth resisted awhile, but this was a very persuasive snake. At last the youth tucked the snake under his coat and carried it down to the valley. There he laid it down gently.

Suddenly the snake coiled, rattled, leaped, and bit him on the leg. "But you promised," cried the youth! "You knew what I was when you picked me up," said the snake as it slithered away.
- As Told By Iron Eyes Cody


Yes, I knew better. Seven years is a long time to waste on something you knew wouldn't work
out in the long run. It was sheer stubbornness on my part and thanks to it I'm having to face
the reality now. Let me just tell you, the reality of a long awaited divorce may be sweet, but it is
expensive! Momma always said we pay for our mistakes, one way or another; we pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment