Friday, May 20, 2016

Forbidden Mourning

Isn't it amazing how so many people simply will not allow one to have any sadness or grief in their life? Perfectly understandable losses are to be tossed aside with a quip and a quote, and you'd better get over it quick! From simple vanity issues. Grief and frustration over the ravages of time, to the recently departed loved ones to a job, a house, a car, a boyfriend. The message is loud and clear. Get Over It!!

People's feelings and emotions often just don't work that way at all. Loss can actually get worse as time goes by; grief can spring up at the most unlikely times. Set off by a memory, a scent, a snippet of music. For that matter, almost anything can bring sadness right to the fore and there you are, trying to show everyone it hasn't, doesn't, never affected you any more, no way, no how.

Enough of that. Can you believe this is all coming from a quick glimpse in a mirror? A glimpse that stopped me dead in my tracks. A lovely black silk chemise still bunched around my shoulders, a grief, sadness, nay fury, at the tell-tale passage of time and baby-carrying on my once smooth, curved tummy? Does that strike one as the height of vanity? Well, it still makes me mad, still makes me grimace, even if there is very little to do about it.

Oh, well, later I will shake off this mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment